Wednesday, September 8, 2010

A conversation we will have in ten years

“Hey Butch, remember that time we went camping for Labor Day weekend and Lola peed all over everything in our tent at 5 in the morning about twenty minutes after you let her out to ‘do her business’?”

“Why yes I do. Remember how right after it happened you started bawling hysterically and hurling a few choice 4-letter words in her direction?”

“I wasn’t bawling hysterically, I just got a little upset because instead of waking up to the sun streaming in our faces all peaceful-like we had to drag all the wet stuff out of our tent in the bitter cold and wander around like bums waiting for the sun to rise so we wouldn’t wake everyone up. All because our dog is a life ruiner. And as for the four-letter words, Lola really was a little sh*t.”

“She sure was. She was also kind of dumb. I’m so glad we dropped her off at the pound on the way home.”

OK, just kidding on that last part. Butch would never say anything like that about his precious Lola and our spazoid of a dog is still very much a part of the family. Although I did entertain some bad thoughts about her in the bleak morning hours after we left our urine-soaked tent. Luckily they were obliterated by a delicious camp breakfast of pancakes, sweet potato hashbrowns, and bacon. Why is it that food always tastes better in the mountains?

Aside from that little setback, the rest of our campout was fabulous. Beautiful scenery, good company, and gorgeous weather. Thank you, Hanson family, for inviting us. If only we could have stayed longer…

All our stuff laid out to dry. We try to keep it as ghetto as possible while in the great outdoors.
The two Mikes: Butch and Hansol.
Mike sporting his only shoes and socks that didn't get wet. He looks like a German tourist.
Freezing my butt off by the fire.
Beautiful view out the car window.
View from our campsite.


Lola and Jake fighting over a stick. We keep her around for entertaining moments like these.

4 comments:

The McBrides said...

wow that is definitely a camping nightmare, I would have probably done alot worse than swear at the dog! And bytheway, you don't need to feel bad about using that 4 letter word on her, I have used it on my own child,and that has got to be a big no no- sometimes it is just necessary! It does look like it was really beautiful up there though, thats fun that you guys could get away from the long weekend!

John and Maren Williams said...

hahaha I would DIE if Tito peed on our camping gear!....and clothes! But, like you we couldn't get rid of him. Oh, dogs.

Anonymous said...

Ha! I love the German tourist comment. So funny. And that right there is why I don't have a dog. I love camping. We camped over the weekend too, but no where like this. Wow. So beautiful. I miss Utah a lot sometimes. We like to keep it ghetto too, so we stayed at a place that has a paintball arena in the campground. How is that for classy camping?

Mandy said...

that really sucks, but phil and i were laughing quite loud reading this. you should write a book