I absolutely loved the graduation address President Obama gave at Notre Dame a few weeks ago. If you haven’t seen it yet, watch it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwJPOfIQKwA
What I love about this speech is the way that President Obama addresses the need for respect between people of differing opinions. This is something I have been thinking about quite a bit since the last election, an experience that was pretty much a crash course in the fragility of personal relationships as far as I’m concerned.
Last fall I had many thought-provoking conversations and debates with people of differing political persuasions. We talked about what informed our opinions, what we saw for the future of our country, etc. These conversations never resulted in us persuading each other of the truth of our particular political ideology, but they did help us understand more about the other person’s beliefs and we essentially walked away from these conversations agreeing to disagree.
On the flip side, I also experienced many encounters in which I was told that the only reason I was supporting a Democratic presidential candidate was because I was young, uninformed, naïve, brainwashed by Hollywood and the media, etc. I was accused of being just another trendy liberal, a perpetuator of corrupt government, and, my personal favorite, “a Bad Mormon” (um, take that up with James E. Faust when you hit the afterlife, please).
As much as these moments sucked, the ones that were even worse occurred when I too lost my cool- when I found myself getting frustrated with people whose views differed from my own and chalked those views up to ignorance, apathy, or other defects in their character. Not my finest hour.
What I learned from my experience is this: difference of opinion is inevitable. Everyone experiences life in a different way, and therefore everyone views the world differently. Regardless of how opposing our views may be, there is still a way to discuss them without adopting a dismissive attitude or assuming that there can be no legitimate reason for someone to think differently than we do. In the face of controversy and difference of opinion, there is still room for discourse that is respectful and tolerant.
Granted, this mentality does not come naturally to us egotistical humans. There are some things people do that I will never understand, like obsess over Edward Cullen or go on a reality TV show looking for love. Where important issues are concerned, though, I resolve to be more respectful. But only because I am a brainwashed Democrat that does whatever President Obama tells me to do.
Thursday, May 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Try being someone who hates politics but who was ready for change. In Germany, people always wanted to talk to me about politics because of my American visa. I hate that. My reasons for voting were different than all the reasons they had and I didn't appreciate them telling me what I needed to do to change my country.
Yes, I think it's important to respect differences, but I also believe there are times when we are too tolerant and need to stand up for inherent truths. Finding the medium and discussing it respectfully is where it gets complicated.
Michelle,
I agree with you that it's important to stand up for our own views and not compromise in the face of "peer pressure." What I was trying to get at, and what I think President Obama was trying to say, is that we need to respect the fact that other people's opinions are just as legitimate as our own, and we can absolutely disagree with someone without belittling them.
The anecdote Obama uses to illustrate this point involves a pro-life doctor writing the then-senator a letter chastising him for the use of some generalized language describing people against abortion as "fanatical right wing conservatives", or something to that effect. Although President Obama is still pro-choice and did not change his opinion on the issue, he removed that language from his website because he realized that this statement undermined the legitimacy of the pro-life opinion.
You can take a stand on an issue without attaching dismissive labels to the opposing view, and I think this country would be a lot more pleasant if that were the case- if people advocating for gay marriage did not call those against it bigots, if people that are pro-life did not dismiss pro-choicers as "baby killers", etc. I wish we could all just say "This is what I believe, and what I am going to stand up for, but I respect the fact that you think differently."
Hey Dash!
I am so glad you found my blog! I am adding you to my contacts! Happy belated birthday, I have loved reading some of your posts- I had to laugh about the whole Susan Boyle thing, I would have to agree you!
Great post! Minus lumping together Edward and the Bachelorette.
Post a Comment