Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Extreme DIY

For most people, springtime is synonymous with blooming tulips, warmer temperatures, and hayfever. I’m beginning to realize that, at the Cassity house, spring awakens a desire to push the limits of our time, money, and sanity. Last spring we were stripping wallpaper, tearing down walls, installing appliances, and performing the various other miscellaneous tasks involved in transforming an old smelly house into something fit for living creatures. All this while I was working full-time and Mike was smack-dab in the middle of studying for finals.*

This year, spring at our place looked a little like this:






Granted, this year’s project of landscaping our backyard was not quite as big of an undertaking as THE REMODEL, but much of it felt the same: Home Depot appearing on our bank statement a bajillion times, Butch impressing me time and time again with his mad skills, and awesome friends and family showing up to help us carry out our hairbrained schemes.
Here’s the project in a nutshell:

Before (I do miss all the trees, but they had to be ripped out. We will be planting more soon):

After (new retaining wall, sprinkler system, and grass- ignore the temporary fence in the first photo):


I never thought something as simple as a functioning sprinkler system and grass could make me so happy, but after we laid the sod I had to strongly resist the urge to kiss it. Goodbye, mud pit/jungle of a yard, hello badminton parties, backyard picnics, and our very own garden.

Next up: New siding for the outside of the house. Gotta love fixer-uppers...

*I keep meaning to do a “before and after” post about our home renovation since I love looking at crap like that on blogs, but do any of you even care anymore?

8 comments:

EY Thrift Store said...

yes. I care. AMAZING work!

John and Maren Williams said...

I am quite impressed. My family has the tendency to buy the house, completely update it, and over a year and a half later.... attempt to move it. But, b/c somethings just aren't completely finished they push back the move in date and weeks turn into months (even though they could finish it off while living there). Granted they have 2 kids, but I am still surprised at what you guys have accomplished while living in it!

Anonymous said...

YES YES YES. I love those kind of pictures too. Do it. NOW. :) Also I am incredibly jealous of your house and your beautiful yard. It seriously looks amazing. I cannot wait for the day when I have one of my own. :) Great work!

The McBrides said...

oh wow, that is a massive amount of work! I had no idea you guys were remodeling, i would LOVE to see more pictures of the house! The backyard looks incredible, you guys did a great job, especially if you made out with your sanity still in tact!

Rickie said...

I'm really impressed! Owning a home made me realize I really don't know how to do all of those grown-up things. Christian and I keep looking at our jungle mess, start to feel overwhelmed and climb back into our car and drive away.

Meg said...

Looks great! We need to have a garage/backyard dance party. You bring the fog machine, I'll bring the fun :)

The Camps said...

It looks Awesome! what a perfect time of year to finish so now you can go out and enjoy all your hard work with the nice weather. I'm jealous :)

Lori and David said...

Wowee! Your yard looks beautiful! Hard things are the most rewarding... :)