Friday, December 19, 2008

5 Things You Must Do Before Christmas

OK, so these aren't really things you MUST do before Christmas. I'm sure things like buying your mom a present or volunteering at the soup kitchen probably take precedence over this list. As do the traditional activities like visiting Temple Square or watching It's a Wonderful Life and all that jazz. But should you have some spare time on your hands and want to fill it with activities of a festive nature:

1. Read Truman Capote's A Christmas Memory. Oh my land I cannot even begin to describe how beautiful this story is. Truman Capote's prose is just so heartachingly subtle, so evocative, that every time I read this I find myself cursing God for not spreading some of that talent around to the rest of us. Be advised that this story is not the typical bludgeon-you-over-the head with sentimental Christmas thoughts kind of a thing, so if you find yourself crying when you hear "Christmas Shoes" (barf), this just isn't going to do it for you. But if you appreciate a more subtle approach to matters of the heart, you have found your mothership. Other literary favorites: A Child's Christmas in Wales by Dylan Thomas, The Gift of the Magi by O. Henry, and Eloise at Christmastime by Kay Thompson.

2. Go to Zoo Lights. Normally I cannot even handle the zoo. All the sad animals and the smells and swarms of small children are just not my thing. But the zoo at Christmas is a totally different story. The animals are all hibernating (except for the freaky turkeys that come out of nowhere and scare the crap out of you) and there are tons of awesome light displays. I highly recommend it but with a disclaimer: DRESS AS WARM AS YOU POSSIBLY CAN WITHOUT LOOKING LIKE THE KID ON CHRISTMAS STORY. It is frigid up there.

3. Plan a visit to Normandie Cafe and Bakery. This is one activity that I have not done yet this year so if it turns out that this Holladay treasure has turned into a rat-infested crack house, don't blame me for leading you astray. I can tell you that in previous years, this place has pretty much rocked at Christmastime. They set up a bunch of decorations, including a huge, elaborate victorian-style gingerbread house. It's the closest you can come to pretending that you are spending Christmastime in a small French village while remaining in Salt Lake. And if the atmosphere doesn't do it for you, you can get so sugared up on their delicious pastries that you will be willing to believe you're on the moon, let alone France. Don't leave without getting one of their huge chocolate-dipped macaroons. I am not accepting "but I don't like coconut" as an excuse for failing to accomplish this task. You will eat it and you will love it and your life will change forever.

4. Watch this clip from Opus and Bill's A Wish for Wings that Work on YouTube. It is hilarious. If you happen to find things like Robin Williams playing a kiwi bird with a severe inferiority complex hilarious. Which I do.

5. Make a pilgrimage to my parent's house to behold this beautiful sight:

Sorry the picture is a little fuzzy. Husband took it with his Crackberry. I am pretty disappointed that he didn't take a video, since The Almighty Crackberry is surely capable of such a task. Had he taken a video, you all could have seen Snoopy dance with his Christmas lights to the tune of "Santa Claus is Coming to Town." My parents bought this thing a few years ago and they heart it. I think that if you gave them a choice between this and the tree, they would pick Snoopy any day of the week. And who could blame them? He is rather jolly, and could make anyone feel instant Christmas cheer. So if you are feeling Grinch-like, just knock on my parents door and they will take you to kneel at the shrine of their beloved Christmas symbol. And if you are lucky Nephew Alex will be there and he will break dance for you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

bahahahaha.

normandie IS a rat-infested crack house. believe me, i worked there for years, and several of my family members still do.

you know the expression of pouring your blood, sweat, and tears into something? yeah.....that happens at normandie.

that said. i still eat there and the macaroons are delicious.