Tuesday, July 21, 2009

I think I can safely blame this on the public education system

Although it’s been a couple of years since I got to partake in the glory that is summer vacation, my brain is still convinced that once temperatures climb above 90 degrees it is allowed to spend the next three months in a state of relative hibernation.

Seriously people. I am dumb as a rock these days. Which wouldn't be such a bad thing if I didn't normally put so much effort into trying to be smarter, but seeing my efforts go to waste is kind of frustrating. For example, I usually have a good handle on current events and the like, but lately every time I start reading anything remotely serious or technical, it usually dissolves into the whole “lights on, nobody’s home” phenomenon and I’ve just read through five pages of The New York Times without paying any real attention to them. Don’t even bother asking my opinion on the whole health care fiasco, Judge Sottomayor’s confirmation hearings, or any other topic that cannot be found in the Arts and Entertainment section of the newspaper. I will probably respond with a confused look and a profound “durrrr….”

Further evidence of my newfound stupidity includes the following:
1) Asking Mike the same questions over and over because I’ve forgotten the answer he gave me two minutes ago.
2) Needing to use the calculator on my cell phone to perform the most basic arithmetic (math has never been my strong suit, but it’s getting downright ridiculous).
3) Obsessively googling basic grammar rules that I am paid to know.

The one exception to my sad case of Seasonal Stupidity Disorder (SSD) is my choice of reading material. I think years of summer reading assignments for Honors and AP English classes conditioned me into thinking that it’s not summer unless I’m reading A Classic (i.e., something long, wordy, and usually depressing). This summer’s pick? Great Expectations. I’m interested to see how that will go.

Anyone else suffering from SSD?

1 comment:

Chelsey said...

Yes, but I call mine AYLSD (ALL YEAR LONG STUPIDITY DISORDER) or for short just stupid