I have many flaws in my character, but the one I’m finding hardest to overcome is my tendency to criticize- to adopt a pessimistic attitude, dwell on the faults in others, and express my negative opinions in some form. Like most flaws we ourselves possess, this is one that is brought to my attention mostly when I notice it in others. I have realized lately how boring it is to be around people that always dwell on the negative, how taxing it can be to constantly hear demeaning gossip about family and friends, and how frustrating it is to see members of my faith disregard our most deeply-held beliefs by shamelessly criticizing one another.*
Although breaking this habit is probably going to be my equivalent of beating drug addiction, this talk inspires me to do it. Not only because of the quality of the address itself, but also because it brings back memories of President Hinckley- someone who, in my opinion, was the epitome of class.
President Hinckley was a man of superior intelligence (and one after my own heart- he majored in English at the U), who often quoted the likes of Shakespeare and Longfellow but spoke in a manner that was simple and straightforward. He was humorous and witty without resorting to sarcasm or cheap laughs at the expense of others. He constantly reminded people of their potential, of their ability to become better, but did so in a way that encouraged his audience instead of demeaning or belittling them.
I think President Hinckley must have seen many flaws in the world and in the membership of the LDS church, but, in a perfect example of practicing what you preach, chose to accentuate the positive. By doing so, he inspired and uplifted millions of people. To me he will always serve as an example of the power and dignity that accompany the simple act of choosing to be kind.

*Disclaimer: This post is NOT directed to any particular group or individual. These are all things I am guilty of doing as much as anyone else.

1 comment:
Thanks for this post. We were so blessed to have such an amazing man to lead us for so long. This was a great reminder for me. I too need to work on all of those things and am glad you helped me remember. I love that talk. I am going to print it off and read it again.
Post a Comment