Back when my blog was just a “notes” section on my facebook profile, I wrote this post about my inability to deal with the transformation of the Holladay neighborhood in which I grew up. Well friends, today I have yet another tragedy to report. On January 31, Eat-A-Burger will be closing its doors. Forever.
This means no more teriyaki chicken sandwiches piled high with veggies. No more spicy fries served with the world’s best fry sauce. No more diet coke accented with a fresh lime. No more meals brought out on a tray with complimentary Andes mints. No more mocking the skankiness of the notoriously easy-on-the-eyes employees. No more picking songs on the jukebox while sitting on a ‘50s-era barstool and admiring the photos of Marilyn Monroe and Elvis Presley adorning the walls.
Honestly, it’s bad enough that most culinary vestiges of my junior high days have closed (Little Caesars, TGI Fridays, the world’s first Barbacoa), but this news comes as quite the blow. Not only because it means that Holladay is losing one of its most distinctive local establishments, but because I have a hunch that my older sister might become quite a miserable person to deal with once she is deprived of her beloved teriyaki chicken sandwiches. I will survive this loss somehow, but Helen? Pray for her.
Wednesday, January 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
UGH! I heard about this today from my sister. I am depressed! What the freak is wrong with holladay? There are a lot of rich people there. It seems like a food place should be able to stay open. You just opened some very old wounds brining up Little Ceasers and Barbacoa. Ouch. I seriously think I will DIE if they close Gepettos. Not joking. Its all we have left.
haha Eat-a-Burger! who would have even thought it would have lasted this long with a name like that?! I may have eaten there once in my life! I love that it is dear to your family. Change is hard but you will get through! :)
My heart has a hole, which will never be filled...I will miss it until the day I die.
PS I will never be able to erase from my mind the images from making industrial size batches of their delicous fry sauce....
Post a Comment