Zooey Deschanel
Although I like her clothes and style, Zooey has never really blown me away as an actress (except in 500 days of Summer, but was that role really all that challenging?), and her singing voice either sounds like a cheap imitation of Patsy Cline or a canary being strangled. So I really don’t understand why everyone is ready to crown her Queen of the Indie Scene, especially in light of the fact that she participated in the suckfest that was Yes Man.Cupcakes
At the rate they’re popping up, there are soon going to be more cupcake shops than gas stations in Salt Lake. Maybe it’s because I am not overly fond of rich buttercream frosting, but I’ve never been impressed with a cupcake from any of these establishments (Mini’s, So Cupcake, etc.). Plus I don’t see the point in paying three bucks for something that you can make (and often with better results, I might add) at home. If I’m looking to splurge at a bakery, chances are I’m buying an éclair or one of those chocolate hedgehogs from Gourmandise.
Owl City
I think the reason that I’m not on board with this latest musical sensation (listen here) is that it’s such a shameless Postal Service rip-off. And I never liked Postal Service that much to begin with. I also find it confusing when solo artists go by something other than their given name. It feels weird referring to Badly Drawn Boy or Iron and Wine as a “him” and not a “them.” Something about it just ain’t right.
Now just in case you are thinking that I am a crotchety old hag determined to rag on everything that is beloved by the general population, here is my list of popular things that deserve all the hype:
Taylor Swift
Dude. I don’t even like country music, but I love T Swift oh so very much. Just watching this brings joy to my soul:
Frozen Yogurt
Used to be that I could only get my frozen yogurt fix at Maverik, and even then it was just a plain cone. But now, thanks to the recent demand for the stuff, I have my choice of Yogurt Stop-like establishments that provide all the sugary goodness I could possibly want, or, if I’m feeling healthy and saddled with an excess amount of money, I can stop into Red Mango or Spoon Me for a “real” frozen yogurt and fruit concoction. God bless capitalism.
The Hunger Games
I am usually pretty wary of novels written for the adolescent set, especially if they happen to be the books that Everyone Is Talking About (a certain vampire series comes to mind), but Hunger Games actually lived up to the hype. It was entertaining, well written, and everything a good light read should be. I highly recommend it.

9 comments:
i also loved hunger games and cannot wait for the third one to come out. Did you read chasing fire?
ps do you like gale or peeta better?
I did read Chasing Fire- I finished it in like a day cause I was so hooked! I can't believe the third one doesn't come out until August. Sad.
And I definitely like Peeta more, but I'm thinking that might just be because he is in the books a lot more than Gale is so you get to know him better- does that make sense?
I love T-Swift too! I don't know why, I just think she's so darn adorable, plus, I really like her music... My little sister wants to hit up a T-Swift concert if/when she comes to SLC... you should come with.
Remember that delicious pastry we got downtown... Queen something or another... WAY better than cupcakes.
Oh man. I totally agree about the cupcake thing. Really? Cupcakes?? And I LOVED Hunger Games. And Catching Fire. A lot. And I am slightly in love with Peeta but I think you are right about not knowing Gale. Something tells me that will change in the third book though.... :)
So my book club last month was reading Hunger games and somehow in my foggy sleep deprived and ever so air headed brain of mine, misunderstood the book we were reading to be"Enders Game" which ended up being a super random sci-fie flick that I could not for the life of me figure out why it had been chosen for a book club selection- imagine my surprise when I show up to the meeting at the end of the month to find that everyone else had read Hunger Games and I had read Enders Game- yea, not the same thing, way to go whit. Having said that, I still plan on reading the true book club selection, everyone was raving about it.
Ooook, so I have to say, when I saw the title "Overrated" and a pictures of my girl T. Swift below, I was alll, "Oh no she didn't!!!!" But then I continued reading and was much relieved to find that you recognize that she is genius. I do have to disagree on Zooey. I love her. And it's your own fault for watching "Yes Man." But all in all, great post!
The Hunger Games were so good! I enjoyed reading them almost as much as Harry Potter (and that's saying something). My brother gave me the books and I finished both in 6 days. Is that nerdy or what? Can't wait for the third one to come out
Dasha! I am loving your blog! I agree with every single thing in this post (though I do really like cupcakes, they are getting a mite too trendy).
I didn't even like Zooey Deschanel in 500 Days of Summer! In fact, that may be the moment I truly recognized my dislike for her. Her contrived uniqueness makes me insane. The only movie I find her acceptable in is Elf.
And who doesn't love Taylor Swift, seriously!
Post a Comment