Friday, April 9, 2010

ramble ramble ramble

Not really in the mood to put together a coherent blog post today, but it’s Friday in cubicleland and I’m bored so here we go:

I’ve realized that I miss poetry. After graduating from college I stopped reading it but last night I looked into my old Norton Anthology and found some Langston Hughes and my heart ached a little with the beauty of it all. And then I thought of one of my favorite poems, introduced to me by my sophomore English teacher, and got goosebumps just remembering the last two lines. I think I’m going to start reading a poem a night. It’s good for the soul.

Remember how I was all excited for One Shining Moment? Well, this year Jennifer Hudson sang it. Worst three minutes of my life.

Birthing stories fascinate me to no end. The gorier and more detailed the better. In fact, I even started stalking a friend of a friend’s blog after I saw that she is training to be a midwife and tells these stories routinely. Creepy I know. And I netflixed The Business of Being Born and watched the whole thing even though it showed Ricki Lake’s boobs and other sights that pushed my desire to have children back another five years. I’m beginning to think I have some serious issues.

My husband doesn’t think that Heidi Klum is “all that pretty.”

I’m going to start searching the house for that crack pipe he is obviously smoking.


Every couple of days I get Dolly Parton’s “Hard Candy Christmas” stuck in my head, even though I don’t really know the words and have only heard it a handful of times. This is one of the great mysteries of my life.

Improv Everywhere makes me feel happy:


I’ve been straightening my hair lately and a co-worker recently informed me that my new hairstyle makes me look like Cher. Huh.

Well, that’s all I got. Hope everyone is having a fabulous Friday!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am having a dreadful Friday but your blog just made it slightly better. :) Thanks. I love The Business of Being Born. Although the Rickie Lake naked part was a little hard to handle. But I have to say I loved it. Portland is turning me all liberal and natural and organic. I even recycle. Weird. Also, I hate being out of school and feeling like I work at a stupid job where my brain is shrinking with every passing day. But such is life. Point being- I love the idea of reading a poem every night before bed. I can't wait for my husband to graduate so I can take my turn at going back to school. But for now, we will sit in our little cubes watching our lives and brains pass us by. Right? haha Sad and while slightly over dramatic...true.

Oh- I want to see a picture of this straight hair of yours. I can't really picture it...but I'm sure is gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for the novel. :)

Dasha said...

Oh Megan, I loved your novel. Sorry you are having a crappy Friday. But I'm glad we can be cubicle-dwelling, brain-shrinking friends.

I will post a picture of the straight hair sometime. I don't really feel like myself with it but it's nice not to look like a ragamuffin for a change.

The McBrides said...

that brightened my day- I kind of think that your husband isn't the only one smoking crack if you really enjoy birthing stories that much :) lol, power to you, i am ashamed to admit that I was really grossed out when Dustin and I started going to our birthing classes and had to watch all of those birthing videos, and I was even still a little grossed out when I was giving birth myself! jk- but maybe a little ;)

amanda said...

So the question is... when you do have kids, will you do it all natural? I thought I might give it a whirl but after seeing my sister give birth last month and the subsequent 45 minutes of stitching, I sort of lost that desire.

I heard I should watch The Business of Being Born but now I'm afraid it'll convince me not to get an epidural and. pain.

Birth is scary, gross, fascinating, and awesome.

Meg said...

I love you, Dash. I think your hair is gorgeous straight! Butch really must be smoking crack, because Heidi Klum is the most beautiful creature on the planet.

Dasha said...

Well, the natural route sounds good to me in theory based on what I've heard from my mom, friends, etc. but I can totally see myself being one of those people that plans to go natural and after two hours in labor is screaming "GIVE ME THE DRUGS!!!" but I guess I will just have to cross that bridge when I come to it.

I would recommend watching The Business of Being Born. It is quite biased and makes all hospital births look like a nightmare, but it is definitely eye-opening and amazing to see the different delivery options beyond what's common in the U.S.

Good luck with all this baby stuff and congratulations!

On Ragsdale Dr said...

I hope the Grocery Store Musical comes to Reams!

Mandy said...

wow, you don't look like Cher. And Phil watches Project Runway just to see Heidi. I think that's why Chris, Logan and Riley watch it also. I always watch the birthing shows on TLC. They are addicting, what is it about them? Love your blog, you are too funny!

Matt and Masha said...

your face is way too round to look like cher! Glad you finally updated your blog I miss your rants

Matt and Masha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.