Tuesday, August 3, 2010

The Pages I've Been Turning

I love to read year-round, but when summer hits my appetite for books becomes absolutely insatiable. This is probably because I still associate summer with my younger years, when its blessed arrival meant freedom from responsibility and ample time to spend lounging by the pool absorbed in a good read. No such luck this year, but between Bear Lake weekends and the afternoon reading breaks a few of my co-workers and I have instituted, I’ve been able to finish a few books.

Here’s the breakdown of what I’ve read lately:

Sarah's Key is one of those books that had promise because of the interesting subject matter (French involvement in the holocaust), but it wasn’t my cup of tea. The writing style reminded me of instructions they give you in junior high English classes, I could guess most of the plot twists from about twenty pages away, and the whole thing felt a little forced and melodramatic. It was also very sad. But not in a beautiful way.


Oh. My. Land. Jonathan Safran Foer is incredible. That’s all there is to say. But I will say more anyway. Namely that I loved this book from start to finish and I wish I could have the experience of reading it again for the first time.

The plot centers around a nine-year-old boy whose father dies in 9-11 and this novel is narrated mainly from his point of view. His voice reminded me a lot of the boy in Mark Haddon’s The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time, so if you enjoyed that then Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close is definitely worth picking up. Easily one of the best books I’ve read in years.

I think this is one of those books best read in one sitting when you have a few hours to do nothing but soak up some good old-fashioned storytelling and descriptions of the Norwegian countryside. It’s very slow and quite vague, but the writing does have a definite beauty to it. Maybe I just had a hard time with Out Stealing Horses because I was forced to read it in small chunks, and, after the postmodern busyness of Extremely Loud, it was difficult to focus on a book as nuanced as this one. I guess you could say I appreciated it but didn’t really enjoy it all that much. Maybe I’ll give it another try when I have ample spare time on my hands.

Chuck Klosterman’s essays are kind of like an inside joke; funny if you get what he’s talking about and completely lame if you don’t. Unless you are a bona fide expert on pop culture, chances are you’ll find yourself scratching your head more than a couple of times. But when you do understand Klosterman’s subject matter, like when I read his essay on Saved by the Bell, he is pretty clever. Albeit in an overthought, cynical way best enjoyed in small doses. Also, Chuck can be pretty crass at times. Just putting that out there as a warning of sorts.

Ah, the token summer bestseller. I read this book for the same reason that I read The Help, DaVinci Code , Twilight (ugh), and countless other titles: because everyone else was doing it. Like those other books, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is not going to win a Pulitzer Prize any time soon, but it was entertaining in a trashy, quasi disturbing way. I don’t recommend reading it when you are all by yourself at night, though. If you’re anything like me you will be convinced that every creak of the floorboards is a serial killer hell-bent on breaking into your house and smuggling you away to Sweden.

Everything is Illuminated is up next on my summer reading agenda, but after that my list of library holds is a barren wasteland. So tell me friends, what have you read and loved lately?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sarah's Key is my bookclub book this month and I have been avoiding starting it for some reason. I have to be really in the mood for yet another holocaust book (does that sound terrible?). And after your review it is going to be even harder to do it. I will have to start working my way through your list. My next book is The Count of Monte Cristo. Is it awful that I have never read it? Its part of my 'read all the books you should have read by now' campaign. The list is long.

Also...you should come to Portland, and hike for the whole weekend with us. That would be awesome. We could hike in the day and read by our campfire at night. Wouldn't that be the best?

Anonymous said...

Also, I just finished Cleopatra's Daughter. Light, easy, predictable...but still very fun and full of interesting history. Good read for summer. Especially if read by a pool.

The McBrides said...

I LOVE hearing about what my friends are reading and what their take is on different lit. I regrettably haven't been reading much this Summer, but this gets me excited to get into some books again. I really don't have the time, energy, or patience right now to sift through books that aren't worth reading, so I appreciate some good reviews to help navigate me towards the really golden ones! Keep me posted on more reads, you should be a professional book review person... what do they call those? I no longer have a brain.

oh in response to Meg's read, I tried reading Cleopatra's Daughter and I could not get into it for the life of me. I don't know what my problem was but I eventually returned it to the library unfinished, maybe I should give it another chance. LOVED The Help though (listened to the entire thing on my ipod in Mexico)- that one will surely be a movie in no time.

Dasha said...

Meg-
Sorry you have to read Sarah's Key for book club. I totally get what you're saying about the holocaust thing. But it's an easy read that I think I finished in a couple of days. You'll have to let me know what you think because maybe I was just in a bad mood when I read it and it really is awesome. Oh, and I have never read Counte of Monte Cristo either. Or Moby Dick. Or War and Peace. Or Les Miserables. Or about a million other books that I feel dumb for not having read. So yeah, you're definitely not alone there. Thanks for the book recommendation-I'll add it to my list.

A weekend of hiking and reading by a fire sounds fabulous! Let's make it happen.

Whit-
You make me laugh. Glad you enjoyed my reviews and you for sure have to let me know when you read something good cause I'm always on the lookout for more books to read.

Chelsey said...

I have to admit, finding time to read this last YEAR has become extremely difficult. BUT you talked me into Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close...Mostly because i'm sick of picking up crappy books at the library and not getting past the first 20 pages. thanks for the tips!

Mandy said...

I read all the dragon tattoo books and liked the second the best I think. I liked Something Borrowed quite alot and just picked up Something Blue. I love the Cat Royal books. They are very cute. Did you read the Bloody Jack books? Right now I am reading By the Light of the Moon by Dean Koontz.

Nichole said...

I just finished Beneath a Marble Sky. It's about the building of the Taj Mahal. It was pretty. Had some flaws - but I liked it mostly. For some reason, it reminded me of you because I kept thinking of Interpreter of Maladies and A Thousand Splendid Suns.

And glad to hear an honest report of the dragon tattoo book. It seems like everyone out there in the real world is obsessed with it, but I haven't heard anyone I know talk much about it. I loved that you said you thought a robber was going to steal you away to Sweden. ahah!

Tiffany said...

I forgot about Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. It is definitely an experience to read it. I love the narration by a child!

I did like Sarah's Key, but I've always been morbidly drawn to almost every Holocaust-related book.

Michelle Glauser said...

I just read the Morning Gift and enjoyed it. And now I'm reading 2666. Have you read One Hundred Years of Solitude or Rain of Gold? Those are good.