Wednesday, November 3, 2010

A very Half-y Halloween

Did the awfulness of that pun make you cringe or what? Or maybe if you took Mr. Felt’s class at Olympus High it just made you feel nostalgic. Anywho, the point of this awkward title is that I ran my first half marathon on the day before Halloween. I have always been hesitant about doing this because I prefer to view running as a simple form of exercise rather than a sport in itself, so I didn’t really know if I’d like the experience of running competitively.

I’m happy to report that I ended up really enjoying the race. It was a beautiful course with perfect weather, and because people were all festive in their costumes and whatnot, the atmosphere was decidedly laid back. Here are some photos:

My friend and running partner Marianne. We spent many a Saturday trucking around the Salt Lake valley together:

My costume. I put white duct tape on my running clothes to transform myself into a skeleton. Sadly, only one lone femur survived the 13.1 miles. It’s a shame that you can’t see the beautiful kneecaps or shinbones that Smash created. They were lovely.
Butch was a supportive husband and cheered me on at the finish line. This face means that he’s proud of me:

The rest of our Halloween weekend was filled with festive activities like making caramel apples, watching scary X-Files episodes (thank you, Netflix Instant Streaming), seeing the Utes beat Air Force, and just hanging out with friends and family. Thanks to my little sister’s facebook page, I even have photos to prove it:




Is baby Anna not the cutest gnome you've ever seen?


Since we’re talking about Halloween, I have to post some pictures of the Cassity’s annual pumpkin carving night last weekend. My in-laws are pretty much master pumpkin carvers and every year we all get together to show off our skills. My pumpkin usually ends up being the “special” one of the bunch, since I don’t use stencils anymore after this mishap, but that’s OK cause everyone is nice to me about it anyway. Here are this year’s pumpkins:

And my special little owl:
Hope everyone had a happy Halloween!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry but that pumpkin is about 100 times cooler than any pumpkin I have ever carved. So good work. Yay for your run. I am doing my second half on the 20th and to say I am not prepared would be putting it lightly. Oh well. :)

Anonymous said...

I liked your costume by the way. Very festive.

John and Maren Williams said...

Congrats on the half! Now, sign up for the SLC half... you know you want to! Love the owl btw

anniejoneslarsen said...

LOVE the straight hair! Great job on the 1/2, you totally rock.

Chelsey said...

Great Job! I ran my first half last Halloween too- it's a great feeling. Loved the pumpkins