Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Has anyone ever told you...

So remember how a while back I wrote about awkward things people say? And how I never know how to respond to these kind of statements? Well, I have another one to add to the list. I never know what to say when people tell me that I look so much like so-and-so (so-and-so being a celebrity, a mutual friend, or someone that I have never even heard of).

I’m sure all of you have experienced the same thing, and I really cannot come up with an appropriate response to it. “Thank you” doesn’t seem quite right, cause it’s not like they are really paying you a compliment (unless they explicitly state that they think so-and-so is good looking), and half the time people tell me that I look like their great-niece or something random so I don’t even get what the devil they are talking about.

Here are a few of the random comparisons I seem to get over and over again:

Christina Ricci:
Ew. To me she looks like an emaciated crack whore. But luckily most of the time when people compare us they refer to her as “that girl from Casper.” So apparently I look like Christina Ricci circa 1995, which I am slightly more OK with:
Betty Boop:
Seriously people? A cartoon character? And a deformed, slutty one at that?

Amanda Seyfried:
I’ve heard this one a few times since Mama Mia came out and I don’t see it at all but whatever. At least she’s pretty.

Cabbage Patch Doll:
I’m not even going to dignify this one with a response. Mostly because if I think about it too long it makes me want to cry.

The one time that I’ve been glad of people’s tendency to play the look-alike game was on my wedding day. Mike and I were standing in the receiving line at our reception and my mom’s friend took one glance at my new husband before telling him that he looked exactly like this man:

And suddenly the reason that my dad took such an instant liking to Mike became abundantly clear. I think I will start calling him "Crocodile Butch" from now on.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha Those are some seriously good look alikes. Betty Boop? haha Love it. People are retarded.

Rissy & Spence said...

Hey Dasha & Mike, How things are going, in ur house. Miss seeing in the ward. We should definely get together & hang on friday or saturday. TTLY ur friends Marissa & Spencer Nichols P.S. I still have ur number & I hope we all can hangout

Elena said...

LMAO!!!

John and Maren Williams said...

This is hilarious! I never noticed the resemblance in Mike and THE crocodile man hahaha perfect.

Meg said...

Haha. I think the cabbage patch doll is my favorite. I think we should start calling Butch Crocodile Man, that would be fun. I don't know if you look so much like Amanda... however, when you sing Abba songs, your voice is just as angelic as hers :)

Michelle Glauser said...

Cabbage patch doll? Who would say that? Hilarious.

Michael and Morgan said...

Haha that is way funny Dasha. I feel your pain on the whole not liking who they say you look like. People always tell me that I look like "that girl from spiderman" aka Kirsten Dunst. I would rather be compared to shrek... But you are much better looking than those people they compare you to! Haha