Yesterday I came across this quote by Maya Angelou:
“If you have only one smile in you, give it to the people you love. Don't be surly at home, then go out in the street and start grinning Good Morning at total strangers.”
I know it’s not exactly the most catchy or profound quote out there- you can’t really put it on one of those wooden plaques to hang above your fireplace- but it really resonated with me. I feel like there are days when I literally only have only one smile inside me- days when I am grouchy and irritable and a veritable mess of emotions, and I do everything I can to hold my sh*t together everyplace except for where it matters most.
Yeah, I get that if you are going to have a full-fledged nervous breakdown it’s definitely better to do it in front of your husband or your parents than an unsuspecting co-worker, but I just wonder if maybe sometimes the relationships we claim as most important are the ones that end up in last place on our list of priorities. Like maybe if I put the same amount of effort into being cheerful around my husband or siblings when I am having a bad day as I do when I encounter a grocery store clerk or waitress, I might actually be putting my money where my mouth is.
This might all sound like a lot of rambling but the point is this: well said, Miss Angelou. Well said.
Wednesday, September 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I completely agree! The grocery store clerk will probably get over the grump that is you, but you're going to have to see your husband and family again soon. :) Nicely said D.
Post a Comment