Wednesday, June 3, 2009

"And you can keep your diseased chickens!"

Has anyone else ever noticed how 2-part movie musicals always have a really happy, carefree first half and then the second half is just the most depressing thing ever? Like how in The Sound of Music the first part is filled with singing nuns and frolicking in the mountains and gazebo dancing and puppet shows, but then the second half is all about the family escaping from the freaking nazis? Talk about a total 180.

Same exact thing with Fiddler on the Roof (my favorite movie as a child, and one that I made Mike watch with me last night). In the first half all anyone worries about is who Yente the matchmaker is going to set them up with, and then in the second half Perchik gets sent to Siberia for his communist ways, Chava marries a gentile, the whole village gets kicked out of their homes, and the shiz pretty much hits the fan in every way possible.

Musicals are weird. It’s like they suck you in with all the happy singing only to be like “not so fast, you still have to think about how crappy life is.” From now on, I am just going to skip the second half.

And yes, these are truly the kind of random thoughts that fill my mind and spill out onto my blog these days. I really need to go back to school or something.

P.S.- If anyone but Smash recognizes the title of this post, then I will be amazed.

1 comment:

Matt and Masha said...

I heart the title of the post! I also heart fiddler and for as many times as I have seen the first half I think I have only watched the second half twice because it had been a while since I saw it the first time and I forget about how sucky it was. I will never make that mistake again!