Thursday, June 25, 2009

Things-I-Love Thursday

A few summers ago I took my first trip to Europe. It was amazing. I loved the art, architecture, and especially the food. People are not lying when they say that everything tastes better in Europe. It totally does.

One of the most memorable things I ate on the trip was a real Belgian waffle (not to be confused with the breakfast waffles they serve here in the States, which are usually pretty bland and need syrup or other toppings). True Belgian waffles (or gaufres, as they call them) are sold on the street and are small, crisp, and delightfully sweet on their own. I remember eating one in Brussels and thinking about how sad it was that we didn't have anything like them here.

You can imagine my delight when a few years later I went to the Downtown Farmer's Market and saw a cart claiming to sell authentic Belgian waffles. Naturally I had to try one. And sure enough, the waffles were just as delicious as the ones I had tasted in Europe, if not better. Turns out the man running the stand was from Bruges (otherwise known as Brugge), a charming city in Belgium that is one of my all-time favorite places (if you are going to Europe, please, please find a way to visit Bruges. You won't regret it). He and I got to be pretty chummy since I stopped by his stand every time I went to the market, and last summer he told me that he was planning on moving to a permanent location.

Last Friday was the first time I had a chance to visit Bruges Waffles and Frites, and let me tell you my friends, it did not disappoint. The waffles are as good as ever, and Pierre has added frites (another Belgian specialty) to his offerings. Mike and I shared an order of the frites with andalouse dipping sauce (highly recommended) and each got a waffle. Mine was covered in fresh strawberries, cream, and rich Belgian chocolate. I have to admit that ordering the toppings is kind of gilding the lily, since these puppies are delicious just on their own, but I never pass up an opportunity to smother something in chocolate. It was sinfully good.

(Yes, I am aware that this picture is awkward and makes me look slightly cross-eyed. I decided to post it anyway. Because I have no dignity).

For more details on this deliciousness, read Your Heart Out's review here.

6 comments:

Chelsey said...

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

amanda said...

ditto to above...

and i totally know the guy in the background of your picture. awesome.

Jeffrey Frederich said...

Well interesting sidenote here Bruges can actually be spelled Brugge in the Dutch translation as it is spelled in the name of the region's soccer team. Just FYI!

xoxoxoxo

Rissy & Spence said...

Dasha & Mike,

We miss u guys in the ward. I hope we can get togather & have some fun at the park or come & see u guys in ur house. I'll talk to u later and have super week & weekend too.

Ur Friends,

Marissa & Spencer

John and Maren Williams said...

I like to see each week your "Things-I-Love Thursday"... every week I think "It's already Thursday?!" (well, most weeks)

Jules AF said...

I totally went there on Wednesday. SO good. And that man was so nice!